Overton County Courthouse
Almost burned down in 1865 by a band of Confederate Guerrillas from Kentucky, the Overton County Courthouse records were saved and the building still stands, preserving the historic character of Livingston, Tennessee's town square.
The original courthouse was burned by Captain John Francis and a band of Confederate guerillas from Kentucky in April of 1865. This sensless act so close to the end of the Civil War might have destroyed all early County Records had it not been for County Register of deeds James Richardson. Mr. Richardson had hidden the county deed books in the cellar of his home. A few record books in the offices of the County Clerk, the circuit Court Clerk and the clerk and master were also saved.
For More Information
Livingston, TN 38570
- Overton County Heritage Museum, 0.2 miles away
- Parkway Restaurant, 0.5 miles away
- Holly Ridge Winery and Vineyard, 3.5 miles away
- Maple Grove School, 4.2 miles away
- Big Springs Bar and Grill, 4.7 miles away