Walls of Jericho State Natural Area
The Walls of Jericho is a 750-acre Natural Area that is within the 8,943-acre Bear Hollow Mountain Wildlife Management Area (WMA), which is contiguous to the Skyline WMA in Alabama. Both of the public lands on the Tennessee and Alabama side total 21,453 acres. The natural area is approximately twelve miles south of Winchesterin southern Franklin County. The southern boundary of the natural area follows the Alabama Tennessee state line where the actual “Walls of Jericho” is located.
The “Walls” is an impressive geological feature that forms a large bowl shaped amphitheater. Embedded in the limestone are bowling ball size holes from which water drips and spouts, creating a unique water feature. This amphitheater gives rise to steep 200-foot sheer rock walls that creates the natural feature defining the amphitheater. Turkey Creek drains through the “Walls” and has been an active geological force in creating the amphitheater. The Natural Area forest is comprised of maples, oaks, hickories, tulip tree, American beech, eastern red cedar, and many other plants commonly associated with limestone. The forestland beyond the “Walls” feature is noteworthy with its many bluffs, large rock outcroppings, caves, and sinkholes.
Not only is the “Walls” significant as a geological feature, the Natural Area is also important because of its biological richness. The area supports several aquatic and botanical species of concern.
It also should be noted that there are areas to hunt in the adjacent Bear Hollow WMA.
For More Information
13990 Rowe Gap Road
, Tennessee 37376
Phone: (615) 532-0431
- Bear Hollow Mountain WMA, 2.8 miles away
- Cumberland Mountain Tunnel, 9.4 miles away
- Cowan Railroad Museum, 9.6 miles away
- Natural Bridge State Natural Area, 10.8 miles away
- Franklin State Forest, 11.2 miles away
- TN Falls - Created 09/28/2016
- Mel - Created 07/24/2016
- vacation - Created 09/30/2014
- Family Fun - Created 05/21/2014
- Tenessee - Created 12/18/2013
- tenn - Created 08/28/2013
- Greg - Created 07/29/2013
- walls of jericho - Created 03/01/2013
- trip to tennessee - Created 02/17/2013
- birthday trip - Created 08/01/2012
- Best Waterfalls Trip - Created 07/11/2012